|1 block of Gourmet Akkawi cheese||3 pieces of Gourmet Majdouleh cheese||400g Butter|
|1 box knafeh dough||Orange food coloring (optional)|
|2 cups of fine white sugar||3/4 cup water||Juice of half a small lemon||1 tsp rosewater|
Garnish<td >Gourmet peeled pistachios, crushed
- To make the syrup put the water and sugar in a saucepan and boil for 5 min. Add the lemon juice.
- Turn off the heat, add the rosewater and stir. Set aside to cool. (The syrup must be made in advance and left to cool)
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Cut the Akkawi cheese into small cubes, rinse with tap water and soak for about 1 hour. Change water every 20 min. This process reduces the salt and softens the cheese. Repeat with the Majdouleh cheese, soaking it for 1 hour.
- Comine both cheeses and drain water very well. Set aside.
- Melt the butter on low heat. (optional - add food coloring and mix)
- Spread 3/4 of the knafeh in the bottom of the baking pan and press it very well.
- Spread the cheese mixture evenly and generously over the knafeh.
- Spread the remaining knafeh over the cheese. Bake for 20-30 min or until the bottom is crisp and golden and the cheese has melted.
- Flip upside down in a serving plate, drizzle with the syrup and garnish with the crushed pistachios.
You May Also Like